Saturday, April 5, 2008

Light

There is a hierarchy of planets in a vertical line. The earth and sun are there. They seem to be interchanging. For in one moment the sun is at the top of the hierarchy, in another it is third from the beginning, with some other planet at the top, and the earth somewhere else still. Suddenly the light of the sun when it is at the top of the line flickers and disappears.

I run, leaping, flying, down the line of planets as if I were on a road, or as if they were rocks in a pond, though I am vertically airborne and in the deep night sky of space. When I reach the bottom of the line, I find myself in this place, similar to my childhood home, and possibly some other place I have been before in my past. I am surrounded by women I know of and am acquainted with at The University of the West Indies, like Lisa, all of whom are gushing about the wonderful feeling of being engaged. I find myself in my childhood bedroom, and it is filled with gifts and cakes like a mass bridal shower, and I am tempted to taste the icing on a rose pink cake that belongs to Carolyn, a girl I know of and was acquainted with at UWI, who is also Lisa's friend, but I don’t.

The scene splits and changes and I am now in an unfamiliar garage and before me is an older woman, who is the reason for my flight from space. She reminds me of the mother of a boy named Enricco, but I don't believe that it is her exactly. She gives me a wind chime lantern to hang inside the ousted sun, and I leap and jump and soar back up the vertical line of planets until I reach the sun, and as I fly by I plunge the wind chime lantern into the darkened matter of its form, and as I pass it flares once more to bright, glorious life to light the earth and the line, to return to the top of the hierarchy of planets where it belongs.

0 comments: