Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Faerytale Cursed

Photobucket
(I found this picture when I was surfing the internet for art, and it instantly reminded me of the following dream.)

There is a girl. A young lady or princess, goddess or maiden, I cannot be sure. She stands on the edge of a deep, green, still body of water. She peers within its depth until she discerns a motion beneath.

Suddenly she is in the water, moving through its deep green, feeling the currents and ripples pulling her back to the safety of the shore. Before her a small mer-goblin is holding her hand and pulling her deeper still. She is not afraid, for she knows this creature. He is her friend. And with him only could she survive under the water, could she breathe beneath the weight of its body.

After they swim and see the sights beneath the lake, they return to the edge of its shore, and laying there, they communicate as only they can do … laying on their sides, face to face, staring into each other's eyes, their bodies a breath away from touch. I can feel the creature is in love with her, in lust with her, and wants for nothing more than to keep her with him, within his pond, forever, to be with her always, to create with her beings that are of them both.

But for her, a princess or a goddess or a maiden, I can’t be sure, he is a mer-goblin, not a man, and is her friend, and can be no more.

The creature’s long, webbed green hand splits into thin, tiny wires, as many as the locks of a Rasta, but fine, and with these he runs his touch down her arm, a delicate and weird blend of pleasure and discomfort. After this she pulls away from him and runs up the marble steps away from the pond and into the castle ruins from which they lead. They are the same ruins from my previous dream, except now the rich, lush, wild whimsical flowering foliage is gone, and the inside is lit with torches, casting the yellow stained stone walls into a dusky, pinkish brown, dim and shadowy still.

But the creature is full of heartache and hatred, and it pursues her inside the interior of the castle. Trapping her on the floor, he savagely rapes her with all of his love, all of his hurt. She begs him to stop, but he cannot for she must feel as he feels, she must feel the pain caused by one you love that she caused to one who loves her.

When it is finished, he draws away in shame, but does not leave, and watches her as if she might still have need of him somehow.

Then a stranger comes into their midst, and without thinking the girl, lying broken on the floor, still mourning the loss of her innocence, grabs the spiny, bony arm of the mer-goblin and drags him behind the nearest pillar. He is still her friend, though the feel of his hand in hers burns her, and the thought of him standing a breath away from touching her once again, makes her skin crawl and her flesh scream. Sensing this, the creature feels a lance of pain and guilt, as they both watch the intruder’s approach.

It is a man. Immediate the mer-goblin is filled with outrage and jealousy because it knows the man is here for her, that the man, and not him, is what she truly wants. The mer-goblin runs towards the pond, plunges in, and disappears into the deep.

I am the man, as I am all of the characters. I love the girl at once, and she, I, and I listen in fury as she tells me what her “friend” has done to her. I want to kill him, but she would not let me, but instead ask that I take her away from this castle, this place.

As I am about to, the scene changes subtly, and there on a hillside behind the ruined castle, is my old primary school, and I know this signals the dream’s near end, for it is a pathway back to mere sleep, back to waking, back to the world of mundane.

Suddenly, I am separated from her. There is another man. Someone neither of us knows. He rides a big, black, bull, and he charges me. I leap onto the second story floor of the school, but his bull takes the stairs and though there are obstacles all along his way - big, wired cages - he and his large animal still manage to make it to the gate on the second story, charging through all the way.

I leap down from the wall and run past my old cafeteria and all my old classes, knowing that as soon as he makes it past the wired cages along the passage I just left, he would catch me and I would be his.

I make it to the main door, hearing the galloping hooves on the cement floor behind me. As soon as I get outside, I leap into my car, and know that while I play all the parts, I am now myself, as I am in the world of dreamless. As soon as they reach the car, I start it up, pull out and roll, driving away as fast as I can. Then being myself in the dreaming, the dreaming ends, and I awaken.

Photobucket
(A picture I found on another internet art-raid that is very reminiscent of the mer-goblin in this dream.)

0 comments: