Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Of Co-workers and Cousins, Acquaintances, Dinosaurs & Love

I am in the kitchen of a building shared by the radio station BBS and my old secondary school. I leave the studio of the radio station and go for a drink in the kitchen. From there I find myself at the beginning of the main school corridor and start to walk. Soon I find myself in another kitchen, which is really a small shop that was once a classroom. It is painted in a harsh green hue.

I order something from the shop and while there, my cousins come in to order something as well. They are also attending the school. They start to confront and condemn me about my pagan beliefs. As we leave the shop and continue down the school corridor, we make a u-turn around the block of classrooms to our left, making a left onto a paved road, passing a roundabout.

There on a wall in front of me is Winter. Irritated beyond words with my cousins I tell them that I need to spend time with him now, so they go on ahead with Winter and I walking behind. All of my acquaintances from The University of the West Indies are there. Suddenly we are walking on a peninsula of land, and as we walk, Winter and I are transformed into Indians, though I am not certain whether we are Native or South American.

The sea appears to our left. As we walk along the shore, I slip and fall on a wave, landing on the belly of a lime green snake. Suddenly another Indian woman appears, grabs and holds the head of the snake to prevent it from biting me, but her grip is too weak. The moment her grasp slips however, Winter catches the head of the snake as it swings around to bite me.

Then I fall into the sea, there is no land or seabed beyond the shore, I plummet into the dark green, murky depths of a vast ocean. Beneath the peninsula are hundred of snakes, too many to count, their heads are stuck in the under belly of the peninsula like upside down ostriches, and their bodies are hanging down into the water like beaded curtains.

Winter takes the snake I fell on, the head in one hand, the tail in the other and dives into the water behind me. He throws the snake over my head from behind me, still gripping its head and its tail in his hands, and uses its body to pull me back up to the surface and onto the land. He then drags me across the sand and behind a huge rock close to the end of peninsula.

Suddenly the body of land where the school was disintegrates and disappears into the sea. The peninsula of land we are on also starts to crumble and sink beneath the waters of that vast ocean. Under the surface of those waters the land becomes a flying dinosaur rising from the bowels and depths of the waves. It has a horse-shoe ear, like a lump on the top of its head, and it is under the arched alcove of this ear, that Winter and I, along with a little white boy sit and rest.

We start to have a low conversation about where we are going, and what we are going to do once the dinosaur lands. Of course being that we are in the ear of the dinosaur he can hear us as we speak, as well as feel us moving around, although we try to keep very still and as quiet as possible. Feeling and hearing us, he becomes annoyed and starts batting around his lump with his claw, going as far as to shove his claw in the loop of his ear to catch us, we evade his claw by running around his hoop ear until he decides to give up and settle back down to the flight. Either than or he accepts our presence, because the energy of the flight changes and is less menacing after this episode.

When we land on a new mainland the dinosaur lets us off its head and we make our way in land, wandering the new world. We find a boy there named Miles who was the only survivor other than ourselves from the school. He was flown to the mainland by a pterodactyl he reined with some rope. Everyone else on the old mainland at the school, my friends, my cousins and the staff at BBS were drowned. Thus The Dreaming ends.

0 comments: