Monday, March 31, 2008

Faerytale Castle

Before me lay the ruins of an old castle. The stones from which it is made of are yellow with age and stain and decay. It is enshrouded in rich, lush, wild, overgrown flowery foliage, giving it the air of a whimsical, secret, faerie garden. You can tell the air is sweet with the scent of flowers and the rot of the undergrowth, as within a hidden forest. Inside the castle, the ceilings are vaulted onto giant pillars except in the place where the roof has caved in, creating a natural skylight through which the scent of the garden outside can waft, and beneath which is rubble on the roof.

It is too dark inside to see the walls in any great detail. The only light comes from the sky light, and due to the flora creating a canopy over and about the castle, even this light is dim and pale, enough to highlight the rubble directly beneath it which it falls on, and no more. I cannot tell from what the floor is made, but I assume it is marble or something equally befitting for the kind of decadent castle only to be found now in a child’s tale. There is a stairway to the right, leading outside and upwards onto an elevated courtyard. The stone here is also yellow from age and rot, and the cobble-stoned ground is covered with fallen leaves and flower petals and the dappled sunlight breaking through the leaves. It’s a very beautiful place, lined with low, decorative walls on which to sit. It belongs to the Golden Age, and it is enshrouded with mystery and presence. To the right of the courtyard there is a high wall with a small brown door cut into it. I do not know where it leads.

There is a couple. They are not young or beautiful or very describable really, but I later find out that the ruins belong to them, and that they bought and preserved them as they lay, only adding a modest section for living in, which is the high wall with the door, which is in the same stained yellow stone as the rest of the castle. This explain why it isn’t rotted or decayed as the stone is of the rest of the castle.

The couple wants my help in choosing a colour to complete the mottled stains of the courtyard cobble stones and the grounds inside the castle beneath it. There are thinking of a darker complementary colour like auburn, but when I suggest white it blends perfectly with the yellow stones of the walls. They are very happy with my choice, but if I had to say the thought out loud, I would say that they were my dream maker in disguise, who needed my aid in completing a dreamscape that was meant for me.

0 comments: